Socca recipe or chickpea pancakes
Having spent my childhood in Nice, i would like to share with you one of my favorite dish. Socca is a very large and thin pancake made from chickpea flour. This pancake is traditionally baked on a round copper plate in a wood oven. After getting your socca on a piece of paper, you can then add pepper and salt and enjoy this with a nice drink in the sun. This is the Socca recipe to experience Nice anywhere in the world!
- 250 g chickpea flour
- 50 cl water
- 6 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lime juice
- Fresh coriander
- Paprika powder
- Whisk the chickpea flour and olive oil with water until no crumbs are left
- Heat up your skillet until real hot (this needs to imitate the wood oven)
- Oil your skillet and pour your batter
- Wait until the edges get cripsy, and turn to bake the other side
- Once cooked, tear the pancake apart with your hands and enjoy!
René Socca – Vieux Nice, France since 1961
If you wish to eat this dish the “Nicoise” way, don’t use utensils. May you ever visit Nice, go to the old part of the city to René Socca! Don’t expect service with a smile at this chaotic, no-frills corner restaurant, but do expect a slice of socca or a plate of beignets de sardines (sardine fritters) or petits farcis (stuffed vegetables), just like granny used to make. Streetside seating is available if you buy a drink from the bar across the street!