Stop buying vegan butter and make your own!
Don’t get me wrong, if you switched to vegan butter from regular butter, you’ve already improved your lifestyle and are contributing to a better world. Yet you are still buying a lot of plastic and we know how much plastic destroys our planet. What if i told you there was a way to make your own vegan butter! You can store this homemade tasty butter in a glass container in your fridge, it is healthier as you know exactly what your ingredients are and it really does taste a lot better than supermarket bought vegan butters.
- 100g normal or deodorised coconut oil
- 75g cashew nuts, soaked in water to soften them
- 60ml any nut milk ( i like to use soy milk)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp soya lecithin (optional for binding)
- Put all ingredients into a high speed blender
- Blend for about 1-2 minutes, until you get a creamy consistency
- Put the mix in a glass container and refrigerate
You can keep the butter for about two weeks in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it to keep a batch on hand.
Make it to your own taste!
Of course, you can play with this recipe. For example, if you’re like me and you like to make a “persillade” for on top of your vegan pizza, you can make a vegan butter mix with parsley and garlic and put them in an ice cube tray. So whenever you make pizza, it’s there and the herbs are all fresh. This butter is extremely customisable. You can whip it, make it thicker or thinner, incorporate herbs and flavours, make it less or more salty, just follow your tastebuds!